当前位置: 首页 » 翻译园地 » 蒙特雷给翻译新生的十条建议

蒙特雷给翻译新生的十条建议

发布日期:2018-05-30      阅读数:1391 次

在昨晚举办的英语世界大讲堂系列第一讲中,刚刚考入美国蒙特雷国际研究生院的嘉宾秦亚琼女士提到了这所翻译及传译专业No.1的学院给新生的十条建议。小编今日特整理如下,供立志成为优秀译员和对翻译感兴趣的朋友参考。

How to Prepare for Life as a Translation, Interpretation, and Localization Management Student

蒙特雷给翻译新生的十条建议

1

Read extensively, especially in your non-native language(s).

广泛阅读,尤其是非母语作品。

Read high quality newspapers (e.g. the New York Times, Wall Street Journal) EVERY DAY for at least a year.

每天阅读高质量报纸(如《纽约时报》《华尔街日报》),至少坚持一年。

Read high quality news magazines (e.g. the Economist), cover to cover.

阅读高质量新闻杂志(如《经济学人》),每一页都要读。

Read your favorite topics in your non-native language(s).

阅读感兴趣话题的非母语作品。

Read other well-written material that will help broaden your general knowledge.

阅读其他有助于拓宽视野且文笔上乘的材料。

2

Watch the TV news and listen to radio news and podcasts on current events in all working languages.

观看多语电视时事新闻、收听多语新闻广播和音频节目。

Don’t just listen to news stories; analyze them.

不要只把新闻当故事听,还要分析。

Keep abreast of current events and issues.

与时俱进,跟上时事的步伐。

Record news programs and interviews so you can listen to them later.

把新闻节目和访谈录下来,以便重复收听。

3

Strengthen your general knowledge of economics, history, the law, international politics, and scientific concepts and principles (in that order).

依次强化自己在经济、历史、法律、国际政治、科学概念和原理等方面的知识。

Take college-level courses, review high school texts, etc.

学习大学课程,回顾中学课本等。

Strengthen your knowledge in a specialized field (preferably in a technical field, such as computers).

强化某个领域的专业知识(最好选择技术领域,如计算机方面)。

4

Live in a country where your non-native language is spoken.

在非母语国家生活。

A stay of at least six months to a year is recommended.

建议至少生活半年到一年时间。

Live with and/or frequently interact with native speakers of your non-native language.

与当地母语人士生活在一起或经常交流。

Take content-related courses (e.g. macroeconomics, political science) in your non-native language (not just pure language courses).

学习用当地语言讲授的课程(如宏观经济学、政治学),不要只学习单纯的语言课程。

Work in a setting that requires high level use of your non-native language.

在一家对当地语言能力水平要求很高的单位工作。

5

Fine-tune your writing and research skills.

提高写作和研究技能。

Take challenging composition courses (not just creative writing courses, but classes in journalism, technical writing, etc.) so you can “speak” journalese, UNese, legalese, etc.

学习有挑战的写作课程(如新闻写作、科技写作课程,而非创意写作),从而学会新闻体、联合国体、法律体等写作风格。

Copy (by hand) sections of textbooks and periodicals in your non-native language(s).

抄写非母语课本和期刊中的段落。

Make a note of unfamiliar or troublesome grammatical points and work towards mastering them.

遇到不熟悉或有难度的语法点要做笔记,并要努力掌握。

Practice proofreading.

练习校对。

6

Improve your public speaking skills.

提高公开演讲的能力。

Take rigorous speech courses.

学习严谨的演讲课程。

Practice writing and making presentations in front of other people in both your native and foreign language(s). (Have native speakers of your non-native language edit your speeches.)

练习写讲稿并在他人面前演讲,既要用母语也要用非母语。(请当地母语人士修改你的讲稿。)

7

Hone your analytical skills.

磨炼分析能力。

Practice listening to speeches and orally summarizing the main points.

练习聆听演讲并口头归纳重点。

Practice writing summaries of news articles.

练习撰写新闻文章的概要。

Practice deciphering difficult texts (e.g. philosophy, law, etc.).

练习解读复杂文本(如哲学、法律文本等)。

Practice explaining complicated concepts understandably.

练习将复杂概念解释得通俗易懂。

Identify resources for background research (e.g. library, Internet, etc.).

为背景研究储备各种资源(如图书馆、互联网等)。

8

Become computer savvy.

精通计算机操作。

Familiarize yourself with navigation and file management under current Windows operating systems (most of the software tools used in the localization industry today are not compatible with the Apple operating system).

在Windows操作系统下熟练浏览和管理文档(目前在本地化行业中使用的大部分软件工具与苹果操作系统不兼容)。

Develop an understanding of the features Windows offers for multilingual processing, such as language-specific keyboard layouts, regional settings for units of measurement.

了解Windows操作系统所包含的与多语言处理相关的功能,比如针对特定语言的键盘布局、计量单位的区域设置等。

Learn to use advanced functions of Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office applications in both your native and non-native languages.

学习使用Word、Excel及其他微软Office应用的高级功能,熟悉这些应用的双语界面。

Become an expert in search engines and online research by using these tools on a daily basis.

每天使用搜索引擎和在线检索工具,成为这方面的专家。

9

Learn how to take care of yourself.

学会照顾自己。

Eat sensibly, exercise regularly, and get sufficient sleep. These are all habits required of a good translator/interpreter.

合理膳食,坚持锻炼,并保证充足睡眠。这些都是优秀笔/口译员应该具备的良好习惯。

10

Be prepared for lifelong learning.

为终身学习做好准备。

Be patient. Bringing your language skills and analytical skills up to the level required of a professional translator or interpreter is not a task that can be accomplished in a few short years. Only with a lot of sustained hard work can anyone truly succeed in these challenging and exciting fields.

要有耐心。将自己的语言技能和分析能力提升到职业笔/口译员所需要的水平不是短短几年就能达到的。在这些充满挑战、令人振奋的领域,唯有通过长期不懈的努力,才可能取得真正的成功。

来源:英语世界 日期:2018年5月29日

心译翻译工作室



»郑重声明:本网站文章均来源于原创和网络转载,所有内容仅代表个人观点。版权归心译翻译工作室和文章所有人共有,欢迎转载。但未经作者同意转载必须保留此段声明,并给出文章链接,否则我们保留追究法律责任的权利!如果本文侵犯了您的权益,请联系我们。
  浏览首页 加入我们 联系我们 合作公司